Zopiclone ( Imovane ) | Zop Tablets | Sleeping Pills
As Zopiclone (Zop 7.5) is a sedative, it is also called a Sleeping Pill.
Zoliclone aka Imovane works by causing a little bit of depression or tranquilization of the central nervous system.
What is zopiclone?
Zopiclone is used to treat short-term sleep problems or insomnia. It helps if you have difficulty falling off to sleep, wake too early or lie awake for long periods at night. It works on chemicals in your brain to make you relaxed and sleepy.
Zopiclone should only be used for a short time (10 days or less). This is because your body gets used to it quickly and after this time it’s unlikely to have the same effect. Your body can also become dependent on it.
You should only use zopiclone if other non-medication treatments aren’t working, and it’s best to continue to use relaxation techniques while you are taking zopiclone.
• The usual dose of zopiclone is 1 tablet at bedtime.
• A lower dose (half a tablet) is recommended in older adults (over 65 years of age). Taking a lower dose reduces the risk of excessive sleepiness, which can lead to falls and other side effects.
• Your doctor will prescribe a short course, usually for 10 days or less.
• Always take your zopiclone exactly as your doctor has told you. The pharmacy label on your medicine will tell you how much to take, how often to take it and any special instructions.
How to take zopiclone
• You do not need to take zopiclone every night.
• Only use zopiclone if you have to. Try to fall asleep first using sleep hygiene techniques and then use zopiclone only if you remain awake.
• Swallow the whole tablet, do not crush or chew it. You can take zopiclone with or without food.
• Do not take zopiclone if you wake up from your sleep during the night.
Precautions – before starting zopiclone
• Do you have liver or kidney problems?
• Do you have breathing problems such as asthma, COPD or sleep apnoea?
• Are you pregnant or breastfeeding?
• Do you have dementia?
• Are you taking any other medicines? This includes any medicines you buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
If so, it’s important that you tell your doctor or pharmacist before you start zopiclone. Sometimes a medicine isn’t suitable for a person with certain conditions or it can only be used with extra care.
Precautions – while you are taking zopiclone
Extra care is needed when taking zopiclone because it can cause sleepiness and affect your concentration the next day. Drowsiness can last for at least 11 hours after taking your dose.